Help with academic issues

We provide support and advocacy for students facing academic misconduct proceedings.

Academic misconduct »

We can help you appeal your assessment and exam results or University decisions.

Appeal »

Have a look here for information about what you can do if health or personal circumstances are likely to affect your academic performance.

Exceptional circumstances »


If you feel dissatisfied about some aspect of your dealings with the University we can provide support and advocacy.

Perhaps you feel unhappy with the level of teaching & support on your course, have received an unsatisfactory standard or service from a particular office or department, or feel you were treated inappropriately by a University staff member. We can help.

Complain to the University »

If you feel unhappy about some aspect of your dealings with the Students’ Union (including its clubs, societies, publications and trading services) we have a complaints procedure to deal with your concerns.

 Complain to the Union »

Help if you're facing disciplinary action

The University may take disciplinary action against you if they feel you have broken university rules.

If you are contacted by the University about potential disciplinary issues then please get in touch to discuss your individual circumstances.

We can talk through your options, advise on the process and if possible attend any meetings or panels with you.

University disciplinary action »

We're independent from the University

If you talk to us about a problem with the University we'll keep it confidential unless it appears there is a risk of harm to you or another person.

Confidentiality Policy »

Contact our support & advocacy team

If you’re not sure if we can help, please contact us anyway - we will know who at the university can help you!

01273 877038

Visit us on the first floor of Falmer House

Other people who can help

The University's Student Life Centre can help with a range of issues including funding, health and directing you to other University services.

View details »

Student parents

We have a family room that student parents can book to use with their children free of charge.

View details »

We also have a mailing list for updates about issues affecting student parents and events you can take part in with your children.

Subscribe to mailing list »

Students that run sports clubs & societies

We provide information, support and resources for students that run our sports clubs and societies.

View details »


Our Zero Tolerance policy supports anyone who has experienced or witnessed sexual harassment, discrimination or violence. We promise to raise awareness of these issues and to respond appropriately to all reports. If you have witnessed or experienced an incident, we can support you. 

Zero tolerance guidance »

Help settling in at Sussex

Join our Buddy Scheme to receive peer support from a current Sussex student who will help you settle in using their knowledge and experience of the University and Brighton.

The Buddy Scheme is here to support your transition from home to University and during your time at Sussex if you are struggling.

Our Buddy Scheme volunteers are here to help you!

More about the Buddy Scheme »


You can find out about the different areas of Brighton & Hove and find out about students' experiences of renting accommodation in the area.

View details »


The Students’ Union has a safer spaces & good conduct policy which seeks to enable equal participation by challenging oppressive and discriminatory behaviour.

We also have a number of policies that contribute to our commitment to creating a safe and inclusive environment for everyone:

Equality & diversity policy »

 Zero tolerance policy »

Mental health & wellbeing policy »

Policy against sexual violence »

No platform policy/policy against racism »

Policy against the inequality of women »

In addition we also have a bullying and harassment policy and disability statement.

If you have witnessed or are informed of an incident which you feel may be considered misconduct by a Union member, we have a student discipline procedure to deal with your concerns or you can use the University's discipline procedure.

Other Policies

Details of the service standards you should expect from the Support and Advocacy team and occasions where support may have to be withdrawn.

Service Standards »

Refusal and withdrawal of service »

Conflict of Interest »