Recipe of the Week: Stollen
With only a month left to the Christmas break we are starting some festive bakes, starting with Stollen.
Ingredients: 500 '00' flour
100g caster sugar
150g softened unsalted butter
250ml warmed milk
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
1/2tsp ground cloves
1/2tsp ground sweet cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g candied peel
Method: 1) The night before you want to make this, soak your fruit in either rum or coffee.
2)Add the yeast to the warmed milk and give a stir. Put this to one side whilst combining the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
3) Add the softened butter and the milk to the bowl and mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4) Form a bowl in the dough and add the soaked fruit, vanilla extract and spices. Collapse the bowl onto the fruit and knead until it is all combined. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover for about an hour to prove.
5) When the dough has doubled in size roll out to form a rectangle the same size as your baking tray. Roll out your marzipan to form a cylinder that is slightly shorter than your dough. Place the marzipan onto the dough and roll tightly. Cover for another hour and leave to prove.
6) When the dough is proved place on a lined baking tray and cook in a preheated oven at 160 Celsius for an hour. Check every 20 mins to ensure that your Stollen isn't browning too quickly, if it is then cover in tin foil until cooked.
7) When cooked brush with melted butter and sprinkle with icing sugar then leave to cool completely.
Got a comment/criticism about anything discussed in this article? Let us know on our social media channels!
Sun 02 Dec 2018
These simple cookies are a perfect way to get everyone together or are an amazing and simple present for your loved ones.
Mon 26 Nov 2018
Continuing with our festive bakes, these individual tarts are the perfect treat for any occasion.
Sat 17 Nov 2018
With the Christmas break just around the corner we are starting our festive bakes with Stollen, a sweet fruited bread with a marzipan core.
Sat 10 Nov 2018
We go back to basics this week with this classic White Bloomer Loaf.
This list is automatically generated
View all news »