Applications for the role of Editor are open now. Apply online. Click here to find out more about The Badger Newspaper.
EDITOR - about the role
Note that as a Union funded and supported publication, the President has ultimate responsibility for The Badger and will step in if they feel the Student Media Code of Conduct is not being adhered to.
Coordinates: News Editor, Arts Editor, Comments Editor, Tech & Science Editor and Heads of Divisions including, Head of Marketing and Events, Digital/Online Editor & Photo/Design Editors
About the role
The purpose of the role is to oversee the newspaper and support the team.
The Editor is supported by the Societies Coordinator and the Media Compliance Officer
Approximately 10 hours per week (and shouldn’t exceed much more than this). This includes weekly contributor’s meetings and editorial meetings that the whole team attends. This also includes oversight of the work of the relevant sub-editors and Heads of Divisions such as online, publicity and design throughout the week.
The Editor is expected to attend the following regular meetings:
· Weekly meetings with the Editor, Section Editors and Heads of Divisions in order to be kept abreast of issues and share ideas
· Monthly one-to-one meetings with the Societies Coordinator
The Editor is also expected to be involved in coordinating, writing and promoting The Badgers’ first issue for Freshers Week and training the team of editors in preparation for the first issue of the year.
Main tasks & responsibilities
· To support, train and mentor the team of editors including ensuring they contribute sufficient time to the content and non-content aspects of the role (e.g. distributing The Badger)
· To lead weekly editorial meetings, setting the tone for the content of the paper
· To oversee the content and creation of the newspaper and the website and ensure that each section of The Badger adheres to the Student Media Code of Conduct and the direction set by the Editor and President. Particularly that is fair, wide-ranging in nature, presented with accuracy and impartiality, is not defamatory and does not breach copyright
· To ensure that the content of each section of The Badger is of a high quality
· To comply with the Students’ Union’s policies
Experience, knowledge and skills required
· Experience of using InDesign
· Some knowledge of Photoshop and Wordpress would be useful
· The ability to manage a diverse workload and competing priorities to meet deadlines
· Great attention to detail and accuracy
· Experience of editing others’ work
· Knowledge of journalistic principles and how these apply in a student newspaper
· Ability to communicate persuasively and confidently when working with others
· A vision for how the Badger should develop
· Knowledge of relevant media law, particularly defamation and copyright
This role would suit you if you are
· Interested in developing teamwork and leadership skills
· Passionate about student media
· Interested in current affairs and/or the arts
· Looking for experience in a fast paced working environment
Skills you can gain in this role
· Interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills
· Communication skills
· Time and project management
Benefits of this role
· Access to additional training such as project management and time management
· Excellent experience and development opportunities
· Training including team leadership and media law
Applications for the role of Editor are open now. Apply online.
Applications close at 5pm Thursday 27th April. Interviews will be either 2nd, 3rd or 4th May.